Engaging All Americans: The Role of Environmental Education in Building a Weather-Ready Nation
This presentation will provide an overview of innovative strategies, partnerships and projects that can help achieve a Weather-Ready Nation by engaging all Americans in understanding and actively using environmental information to make the best choices in their daily lives and improve the health of their communities, including:
Assessing knowledge, attitudes and behaviors: NEEF will share results from original national survey research on current attitudes and practices relating to our nation's environment.
Simplifying and amplifying key messages:
• NEEF and NOAA teamed up to air short PSAs on the Jumbotron at NASCAR's Brickyard 400 race, encouraging thousands of fans to be Weather-Ready.
• NEEF's work with broadcast meteorologists nationwide ensures they have access to science-based resources – content, visuals and continuing education – to make the links between weather, environment and climate for their viewers on-air, online and in social media.
Expanding the conversation:
• With the Hispanic Communications Network, NEEF is reaching Spanish-speaking radio listeners with short, entertaining stories that make weather, climate and environmental science culturally relevant and practical.
• Through work with partners like Atlanta's Greenhouse Foundation, the Ovie Mughelli Foundation, Boys and Girls Clubs of America and other youth-based organizations, NEEF is connecting urban youth to the local environment.
• On the interactive My Earth Changing Moments website, everyone is welcome to share or learn about others' “a-ha moments” about the environment – including videos, photos and stories from everyday people as well as celebrities, educators and community leaders.
Connecting the dots – STEM, environmental education and extreme weather: Through the Samsung-supported National Environmental Education Week, NEEF is engaging students and teachers in “Greening STEM” (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) by exploring the role engineering plays in building more resilient communities.