1091 In situ investigation of Rain drop size distribution (DSD) using Micro Rain Radar Data and its effect on microwave radio signals in tropical region

Wednesday, 25 January 2017
4E (Washington State Convention Center )
Akinyemi Clement Tomiwa Sr., Adekunle Ajasin University, Akoko, Nigeria
Manuscript (343.3 kB)


Rain drop size distribution and some associated rain parameters such as the rain rates (R), liquid water content (M), and the falling velocities (W) as observed using a vertically pointing Micro Rain Radar (MRR) at the Department of Physics, the  Federal University of Technology Akure (7o15΄N, 5o15΄E), a tropical location in Nigeria were analyzed in this study. The parameters were measured from the ground level to a height of 4.8 km above sea level with a vertical resolution of 0.16 km and over a total of 30 range gates with 1-minute integration time. The measurements covered a period of four years (2008-2011). The study established relationships between all the parameters and the results shows typical values for negative exponential rainfall drop size distribution (DSD) similar to that of Marshall-Palmer for both stratiform and convective rain. At 0.01% of time, the measured rain rate was underestimated by 35% when compared with the ITU-R recommendation for this region and it was observed that over 85% of the total rainfall in this part of the world is stratiform while the remaining 15% are convective except for the month of October which is the peak of the rainy season in the year where a high number of convective rain is observed. The results of this study may assist to improve the design and planning of terrestrial and satellite radio communication system in this location.

- Indicates paper has been withdrawn from meeting
- Indicates an Award Winner