Tuesday, 9 January 2018: 10:30 AM
Room 17A (ACC) (Austin, Texas)
The on-line CLASS Storage Estimation Tool (CSET) is used to develop capacity estimates for the storage of environmental data by NOAA's Comprehensive Large Array-data Stewardship System (CLASS). CLASS currently archives nearly 10 petabytes (PB) of NOAA's environmental data and is adding to these holdings at a rate of nearly 2 PB per year. National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI) personnel often need to archive new data sets at CLASS and require an easily available tool to estimate the capacity and costs for archiving these new data sets. Users also wanted to be able to run multiple simulations so they could manipulate variables and compare their effect on capacity and costs. Forio's Simulate™ was used to develop an internet browser accessible tool, CSET, to fulfill these needs and has been in use for over three years.
Recently the CSET underwent a major upgrade to improve its utility in making capacity and cost estimates. This included:
- Improving the “look and feel” of the user interface.
- Enabling more precise capacity calculations.
- Adding capacity estimates for two new storage areas.
- Providing additional feedback.
- Allowing for an easier comparison of the effect of variables on capacity and cost.
This presentation will review the CSET and then focus on discussing these improvements and demonstrating each through a video of the CSET in action.
- Indicates paper has been withdrawn from meeting
- Indicates an Award Winner